#Occupy Oakland’s Nov. 2 General Strike occurred on last Wednesday. It was a most auspicious day, with Oakland’s infamous diverse population gathered in unity to support a Peoples‘ march and rally on behalf of enacting a true occupation. Some of those marching came with groups, organizations, family, friends, co-workers, alone, but they came. It was an awe-inspiring sight and experience. I marched with Angela Davis. She was bombarded with people who knew her place in the Movement was iconoclastic. She didn’t feel that way at all. She was thrilled to see the people united and empowered to provoke, inspire, motivate and march for change.
Let the world see the spectacular example of a city unified in Solidarity. Look at the number of people who walked and protested peacefully and powerfully. The violence only served to make folks think the overall Strike was a fiasco. NO! It wasn’t! There were over 50,000+ marchers! They were marching to close down Oakland’s Port, and they did! This was my experience, People Empowered to Stand in Unity! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
- Occupy Oakland general strike shuts the country’s main maritime port (birminghamurbannews.wordpress.com)
- Occupy Oakland shuts down 5th largest US port (antwrites.com)
- Occupy Movement News Update of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- Former Black Panther Chair Elaine Brown Speaks About Occupy Oakland & General Strike (hiphopandpolitics.wordpress.com)
- #Occupy Oakland’s General Strike Has Historical Precedence (crooksandliars.com)
- Many Oakland businesses, banks and schools close for general strike (dailykos.com)
- Occupy Oakland Tries to Pull Off General Strike (news.firedoglake.com)
- Occupy Oakland planning a general strike for November 2nd (americablog.com)